For the climax of the hunt, it's not so much what you use, it's the getting there, say 200yds from the critter no matter what critter it is. Once you're there, at that mark, say 200 yds from the critter, any large number of rifles-yes, even some out of a bubble pack from Walmart-will do the job efficiently.

The question you have to ask yourself is, do I enjoy the hunt more or do I enjoy the rifle more or am I somewhere in between, enjoying some aspects of both. Is the rifle just a tool that if it were no more responsive than a fence post or had the beauty of a jack hammer it wouldn't matter-just give me the hunt. Most of us don't fall into that camp.

There are those who'd rather their wondering be limited to no more than their familiar haunts forever if they could carry a tool-a gun-that is a work of art that drew as much attention as their wondrerings or even their destination.

And this has nothing do to with caliber or chambering. The 30-06 will do the job whether out of a bubble pack rifle or a most expensive custom rifle.