Kcnboise: You definitely should try the 50 grain Sierra Blitz bullets - I use them in several of my 223's!
They are a splendid and splendidly accurate Varminting bullet - cheaper than many as well.
Now to the "whistle pigs" being the size of pop cans!
You can call the Ground Squirrels anything you want - but MORE often (always?) the term Whistle Pig refers to Rock Chucks, Wood Chucks and Hoary Marmots.
NOT the much smaller sage rats, gophers, picket pins, furrbies, 13 lined squirrels, peeps, Richardsons Ground Squirrels, etc etc etc!
I normally do not use centerfire Rifles on the hoardes of Ground Squirrels I Hunt (to expensive and many of the private lands I Hunt them on do not allow centerfires!) but I have shot many Ground Squirrels with this bullet from my 223's.
They are "explosive" - or juicy - if you will, on the diminutive Gophers!
If you are interested in EXPLOSIVE bullets on Ground Squirrels the 17 Remington Fireball with 20 grain Hornady V-Max bullets is the most awesome centerfire bullet I have seen!
Best of luck to you this "whistle pig" season and be sure to try the Sierra 50 grain Blitz (not the BlitzKings!) on both the Ground Squirrels and the Rock Chucks down Boise way.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy