Originally Posted by tikka3006
Originally Posted by RJM

I had a 6" 83 in .454. Ended up selling it when I realized it was starting to damage my wrists and right elbow...and I wasn't even running "full" loads.

If you think the .454 can't hurt you, email John Tiffin some time. I emailed with him several years ago and he told me what the years of shooting these heavies has done to his hands, wrists and elbows...no thanks...
Bob

Thanks for your honesty and the reality check Bob.
I was hard on my wrists years ago when I worked construction.
I am 51 and I do want to be shooting for many more years.

That is why I went to the .41 Magnum...it will do whatever needs to get done without also doing you in. The 83 in .41 is really overkill and with Mag-Na-Port it is a real PussyCat even with heavy cast loads.

As to the Micarta grips, they are just an attrative extra. From what I have read the laminated wood grips will sometimes crack under the stress of heavy loads.

The question sometimes arises as to why not just download the .454 or get a second cylinder in .45 Colt...(my gun had one). My answer is if I wanted a .45 Colt I would buy one... I bought the .454 to shoot .454s...

There was a one of a kind 97 in .41 Magnum on GunBroker some time back.... 4.25" barrel, factory custm action job with trigger overtravel stop and ROUND BUTT frame with black Micarta grips... It sold for $1950.00.

Bob