264- is this the same .243 that you're limited to factory loads for deer hunting? If so, I don't think the Barnes Originals are available in loaded ammo so the 115 gr. bullet isn't an option. Or have you decided to start handloading? If that's the case and you want to use one bullet for deer and elk I'd recommend a Barnes X or 100 gr. Nosler Partition as an adequate deer/ marginal elk bullet. I've shot a lot of deer and antelope with a 6mm Rem. and it's always worked but I wouldn't deliberately take it elk hunting.

dale

I agree. It's a real problem and, after a lot of thought, I think the idea of downloading the 7-08 is probably right on. Prolly 140 Partitions at 2700 or so.

I've killed elk and moose with small cartridges, but it's always been when I was hunting deer and got an opportunity to kill the larger critter. Stuff happens and the best rifle for the job is the one that happens to be in your hands.

I've killed a bunch of elk and I have a fair idea where to hit them. Would I personally purposely go in the bush, hunting for elk with any bullet in a .243? Mmmmmm, probably not.

Several years ago, I killed a couple of elk with a .25-'06 with 120 Partitions and they did a hell of a good job. Thinking that I'd pushed my luck far enough, I backed off and continued using my standard guiding rifle; a Remington 700C in .30-06 with 150-grain Nosler Partitions. Hey, it works and I was never afraid of the rifle.

It was only later that I discovered the .280 Ackley and it works better.

The .30-'06 is still great and I've used it to kill over fifty Afrikan animals. Stuffed with 180 Hornady Interlockeds or Partitions, it still swats critters over DRT.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397