I have a 5 man I bought from Wyoming Lost and Found. Bought it in the middle of the winter and set it up a couple times as the house to get a "feel" for quickest/easiest way to get it tight and formed up nice. Also did it in the dark with the headlamp to get some "real world" feel for it before taking it out.
Took it out two weekends ago in as nasty a wind storm as I have seen in many years here in the Montana mountains. I was really impressed that it didn't have any problems staying up, but I was a little nervous. I had to to get up twice to pound stakes back down.
About 11 at night had a large branch about the size of a kids wiffle ball bat launch out of the tree and blow through the side of the material and rip a big hole.I was camped close to the road with two of my kids so had a role of duct tape and did the quick fix.
I contacted Brian via email when I got back about possible fixes. He told me how he recommended fixing it and said to send it back. Of course I was wondering how much it would cost for the fix, no charge but he did ask if I would please cover shipping. I know Brian has got some hackles up here. But I have asked him many questions about design, build ideas, etc... and I am having him build me another tipi out of canvas.
I would classify myself as a bit of a pain in the ass as I keep tweeking things I want done. He has been really cool, always helpful and willing to build it the way I want. He will give his advice and insight, but in the end leaves it up to me. I trust him with my dollars, he is a hard ass American boy that isn't real good at fluffing it up but that doesn't bother me much.
Happy hunting, Casey
PS Yep, he has some tipis built out of good old Wally World blue tarps. Thinknig they might be handy to throw on a horse when horse camping it, great place to store saddle, grain, gear, etc... That stuff doesn't need the Hilton.