Originally Posted by rufous
My brother is considering getting a new big game hunting rifle. He has a Remington 700 stainless synthetic 30-'06 that he bought new in 1993 but it is getting long in the throat and he is thinking that he would like a flatter shooting cartridge. I have suggested to him that he give a serious look at the Savage Weather Warrior in 300 WSM. He is concerned about feeding issues though with its short/fat case. I believe the Savage rifles are single stack magazines and as such probably feed just fine but would like some confirmation and comments on this issue.
......................I have found that due to its 35 degree shoulder, all cases should be fully sized to avoid hang-ups. In my experience, the full length sizing die must also be adjusted correctly barely touching the bottom of the shellholder, then screwed down clockwise another approx 1/4 turn to avoid feeding problems in which the case shoulder hangs up before the round is chambered. That additional 1/4 turn or so, sizes down the shoulder when using casings with high degrees of shoulder angle.

When I first started reloading for my new Ruger M77 300 WSM three years ago, and after I adjusted my die correctly as above, I have never had any feeding issues with the 300 WSM.

If he`ll be using only factory ammo and not reloading, he won`t have any feeding issues using factory rounds. Originally, I bought 5 boxes of 300 WSM factory ammo and never had a feeding problem.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger