hey phil i really like you case on what is enough gun for stopping a bear i dont mean to one up you but i stopped a big brown with a 7x57 years ago was fishing with a gal and she caught a nice salmon well she started a fist fight with the bear over the fish to make a long story short i was shooting so 190 grain bullet of CIL manufacture never seen the since i shot him from about 80 yard after he had knocked her down well he got rather mad and started my way so i shot hin again in the biggest part odf in the chest well 4 round in center chest he was still coming to me i knew i had one last chance when he got to about 4 ft i shot him in the top of the head never saw anything die that quick the bullet went through the brain and shattered the atlas joint. nowask me what i would rather have the next time well it would be my model 70 458 winchester no not a lot the plain old winchester with swift bullets oh she was not hurt just little skinned up needless to say when we go fishing now i tell her not to pick a fight with a bear