Originally Posted by huntem
Originally Posted by Chesapeake
I'm still trying to get over the 9 lbs. 8 oz. part of it. That seems like a realy heavy pack to me.

What is weird is that no one part of the overall system is the "heavy" part. I can't remember if the orange shelf is removable to where you can just sandwich the load between the frame and pack.

Keep in mind, that the Mystery Ranch is far from an ultralight.

Yeah, I understand these meat haulers arent ultra-light. My 4500 is a bit over 7 lbs. I've looked at it many times trying to figure out what to cut off of it.
The fabric is just too heavy and too many of them hypalon rubber gussets I think.
Guess you cant have your cake and eat it to.

I would think a good, well built hunting pack, at about 4500 cubic inch should be able to be around 6 pounds.

Looking at that OX frame I think the first things I'd ditch would be the plastic plugs in the frame rail ends, unless they perform some task I cant see in the pics. Likely also ditch the speed clips for the cross bars and replace them with aluminum or stainless allen bolts. Not sure the reason for wanting to adjust the cross bars easily. Also not sure about the side pockets with 3 buckle straps and two compartments. Cant say I would need 3 ways to load a tripod in a pocket. My 2200 has the same side pockets with half the doodads and I've never bean left wanting.

I guess the more I use, look at, and think about these "swiss army knife" type packs, the more I start to think the "duffle bag with shoulder straps" Kifaru's make since.

Sorry about the hijak.

Last edited by Chesapeake; 05/04/10.

Rick