Originally Posted by brooksrange
Here's what really got me thinking about the .270 AI that has the possibilities up higher than the 280 or 280AI? I don't know...

Originally Posted by Rodbolt
[quote=RinB] I think the 270AI is interesting though, the new RL-17 powder may get the 270AI into WSM velocity.

SAEED: Several people used this rifle (270 AI) on several African safaris, bagging well over 100 big game animals, including all the larger plains game such as sable, zebra, kudu and waterbuck. Most were shot using the Barnes X 130-grain bullet, although some were shot with the Trophy Bonded 140 grain Bear Claw. Both bullets performed without a single failure.

Wmramse- Primos Cabin- The only differences in AIs vs. their standard versions are much less (if any) body taper, longer body and neck, but shorter shoulder set to 40 degrees instead of the typical 17 degrees (for the '06 family). The sharper shoulder angle and less body taper help to burn powder more efficiently, and the overall cartridge design means easier chambering and less bolt thrust. Add in the extra powder and you can get roughly the same ballistics as a .270 WSM.

Nathanial- 150 TSX's go at 2950 with 59 grains of H4831sc
130 Accubond's at 3210 with 61 grains of H4831sc
Both loads shot over my Oehler.
60 grains of can be got into the case with the 150's but with a fair amount of compressing. 59 grains is the accurate load in my rifle so that is where I keep it.

Originally Posted by colmacivor
...With the new powders I think the 270AI is a real consideration reguardless what might have been the opinion when these new powders were not avail.. Also the 270AI with a 110 sierra at 3500'/sec is a serious coyote getter. My 270 AI has now accounted for a Rocky Mt Bighorn Ram, a Desert Bighorn Ram, quite a few wild hogs, African plains game, a Thar, and a few big muledeer. Would recommend if someone likes to reload and tinker with their hunting rifles..Good hunting John

Lots of praise- and why I ask- would you give a 270AI as an option for a mountain hunting rifle for sheep, goats, mule deer, black bear and some coyotes and wolf?

Not so sure about that. Mind you, lots of people think that the 25-06AI has something to gain over the 25-06 so, with the 270 Win. having a larger bore diameter, it should show even more improvement.

I'd stick to the 270 Winchester.