Originally Posted by Patrick_James
A few years ago I bought a number of box's of S&B 7x57 173 gr SPCE ammo.I just noticed a magnet sticks hard to the bullet.It is a soft point bullet.Has anybody shot game with this bullet? Should penetrate good.I never heard of such a thing in a hunting bullet.

I've got some S&B ammo for my 7.62 X 39. The bullets loaded in this caliber attract a magnet too. I called the manufacturer of the rifle that I was planning to shoot this ammo through and they said there shouldn't be any problem using it.

I conducted an informal test where I shot into the end grain of some knot free poplar logs from the same tree. I used Remington ammo loaded with their soft point cor-lokt bullet in 123 or 125 grain weight. I don't remember which. I compared the penetration of the Remington bullet to the penetration of the S&B bullet of the same approximate weight.

Penetration was nearly identical at nearly 10 inches for both the Remington and the S&B bullets. It was obvious when examining the recovered bullets that the Remington bullets expanded much more, showing both a slightly larger diameter and much less remaining bullet shank. I should mention also that the S&B ammo clocks well over 150 fps faster a few feet from the muzzle.

YMMV

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile