Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by C_ROY
What is the difference between a "K" frame & a "J" frame S&W?
I've been carrying concealed and shooting handguns of all types for over 30 years. In my judgment, the J-Frame is an expert's gun. Most people seem to intuit that, "Since this person has a very small amount of experience with handguns, he/she needs a very small revolver." This thinking doesn't stand up to a moment's clear headed scrutiny. Let me repeat: A J-Frame is an expert's gun. Not easy to shoot under the most favorable of circumstances. The ideal frame size for a combat revolver is the S&W K-Frame. J-Frames are cute to look at and hold, and are easy to carry, but they are a bitch to master. If you're buying a handgun for a novice who's not already a gun nut, the last revolver you want to introduce them to is a J-Frame S&W ... that is, unless it's a .22 Kit Gun. Those are awesome, but they too are special purpose guns.

+1

Absolute truth spoken here!

My wife loves a Ruger 22, but when there is a jam, she gets lost on clearing the weapon. She loves the S&W and Taurus 38's with a 3" and 4" barrel, 2.9g of Bullseye with a 148g Wad cutter is about like a 22rimfire(she says).

She has no problems with a 125g HP at 1000 fps out of the 38 special, 3" and 4". With the same load in a Model 60 with 2" barrel, I'm afraid all she could do is scare the bad guy.

Last edited by keith; 07/11/10.