SSA has promptly responded to me regarding this issue. Jeff at SSA has been very helpful. He told me that some of their 6.8SPC ammunition with 90gr. Speer TNT bullets was loaded with a powder that didn't work well with a very few rifles, Stag Arms being one of them. He also mentioned that SSA has since switched to a different powder to alleviate the problem with this minority of weapons.

Apparently the gas port size and location in Stag Arms does not work well with the former powder use by SSA in this round. Because of the aforementioned conditions the bolt may unlock too soon and then allow the case to become unsupported while still under pressure and this allowing the case head to over expand and shed it's primer.

I have several hundred rounds of later production SSA 90gr. TNT ammunition and Jeff told me that it was loaded with the new powder and should work properly in my Stag rifle. I will let everyone know how it functions after I've had an opportunity to go to the range.

This is the only problem I have ever had with any SSA ammo and I'm very pleased with Silver State's honest and friendly approach to solving my problem. Other companies should take note.

Last edited by Mike53; 07/29/10.