Ryan...

To expand a little on the possibility of considering a Model 99 Savage as previously mentioned as a "possibility". The Model 99 Savage is in the midst of becoming a true American icon.

I use a 1953 Savage Model 99 (a late EG model) in .300 Savage for all my deer hunting and I don't think either the rifle or the caliber can be beat for deer out to 250-275 yards.

The .300 Savage cartridge using 180 grain bullets is easily capable of taking elk, moose and black bear at reasonable ranges while the use of 120 grain to 130 grain premium bullets turn the efficient .300 Savage into a great antelope rifle for long range shooting.

The rifle is a "classic" and handles like a dream. It's lever action is "butter-smooth" compared to most other lever actioned rifles and the .300 Savage, "father" of the .308 Win., is acknowledged by those who "know" as "THE" perfect deer cartridge because most hunting bullets offer outstanding performance at .300 Savage velocities while averaging 25%-30% less recoil than a .270 with equal weight bullets.

My handloads chronograph at average muzzle velocity of 2675 fps while giving an average of .6 or .7 inch, 3-shot groups @ 100 yards off the bench rest with the Busnell 3x-9x variable scope set on "9x".

Sighted in 2.75-inches high at 100 yards, the .300 Savage cartridge has a point blank range of 265 yards, meaning the bullet does not rise or fall more than 3 inches above or below the "line-of-sight" from the rifle's muzzle to 265 yards down-range which is a long shot for most hunters.

There's something to be said about hunting with a "classic" rifle in a "classic" caliber... and the Savage Model 99 in .300 Savages offers its owner a reasonably light, fast-handling, truly "classic", but very useful rifle for all occasions in a very reasonable price range.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...