Originally Posted by jim62
Even though they are a fine rifles,a couple of problems with the Coopers for what you need.

1st- the m52- their long action bolt repeater is HEAVY. It was about 8lbs+ sans scope.

2nd- Due to their three lug bolts and steep cocking nothc ramps-the cocking effeort on Coopers is rough for shots from the shoulder. The bolt sure don't work like m700 from the shoulder .

3rd. To get TRULY high grade wood on any Cooper you are looking at sending them 600-$1,000 JUST for the wood upgrade on standard Classic.

I would buy the blank from a good vendor for about $500 or so and then send it to Cooper. They charge a handling fee of $100 for your wood. Most dealers discount that a bit. It is worht it as you can inspect/approve the blanks before it is milled into your stock.

For a Cooper as you are wanting -you are looking at about $2,500 +

$1,500 to $2,000 would build one HELL of a walnut stock for any m700 if it was made by a reasonable smith like Dennis Olson of Montana.

Jim 62 hit the nail right on the head on all counts! I have two coopers and both are wonderfully accurate, just a sight to behold and shoot very well. But they are heavy, bolt lift sucks compared to even my rugers with after market triggers, let alone my rem's and savages. As for accuracy, well they are not better then my other rifles mentioned. And yes, buy a nice stock blank and put it on you favorite stick and save some bucks.