"I" am sick!
I had left the Hunters Rendevous at the wonderful Shedhorn Sports Store in Ennis, Montana and I had begun driving the 75 miles back home when one of my travel mates remarked that some of the reloading powder he had purchased at the yearly event/sale had been rung up to "high" at the check out stand.
Yikes, I said, as I wheeled into a turnout 3 miles south of town.
I had bought 4 cans of powder and I had not checked my sales slip for correct sales prices.
I got into my trunk and double checked my receipt. All the powders were for the correct sales price on my sales slip - BUT - I did notice I had incorrectly purchased a carton or Remington 9 1/2 Magnum primers for $29.00 when in fact I wanted to purchase 1,000 of the standard Remington 9 1/2 primers for $28.00!
Was it worth going back for a BUCK and my not having to resell the wrong size primers at a gunshow?
Well I had a gnawing in my gut besides the errant dollar - I had passed on a High Standard heavy barrel "Sharp Shooter" in mint condition (with two magazines!) back at the Shedhorn and I was "weakening" to the pistols siren like call!
Back I go to the store and search for a parking spot in the shade so in case my flesh were to weaken further and I would spring for the wonderfully charming and amazingly clean 36 year old High Standard pistol my two travel mates would at least be in the August shade!
I ran right into "Rob" the owner of the store as I went to the check out stand and I "manuevered" a cash price from him that made it mandatory I buy said pistol!
Of late I have grown fond of this fine line of pistols and I just "had to" add this cherry to my small arsenal of other High Standard heavy barrel pistols (5 others).
My two travel mates gave me a well deserved "razzing" as they had to wait about 25 minutes for me to get through the over-loaded gun buying process that the Shedhorn folks put folks through on their yearly sales event days.
Oh well my friends had "Coors" on ice (provided by the VarmintGuy!) to keep their thirst at bay while they waited and they both agreed that the High Standard was indeed "minty" enough to assuage their impatience at my tardiness.
I can't wait to shoot this nifty piece.
And as usual it will be put into service for the "closer" Gophers come next spring.
I have a "sickness" and its called "gun-nuttiness" - I guess.
I simply HAD to sneak this one PAST the VarmintWife once back to home as she OK'ed my using family funds (debit card) to buy the initial $200.00 worth of bullets, brass, primers and powder from my first shopping session.
If only my friend had not mentioned his sales receipt and its clerical error?
Naw, in the end I think I am glad he did - minty High Standards autoloading pistols are getting hard to find at affordable prices!
You only live once - sick or not.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy