I just returned last night from 7 days of floating Oregon�s Deschutes River. The objective was summer run steelhead, and we had a fine trip. I had about 24 good solid hits on flys, got hooked up to 15 fish, and landed 11. Size wise they ranged from around 24 to 29 inches, but we did not tie into any of the larger Clearwater fish that stray off the Columbia. With a couple exceptions, one typically got into a fish during each morning or evening session. About any fly pattern worked as well as another, and we fished floating lines exclusively.

Yes, Macrabbit, the black Aztec scored again.

A buddy on the trip did a better job of staying hooked up than I, and landed a few more fish. As to other events, we saw lots of wildlife (deer, bighorn, beaver, racoon, otter, and a variety of snakes), and I learned a 10lb tippet is insufficient for large beaver. One got away with two of my favorite flys after about a 30 second go around. It wasn't an intentional hook up, as he simply surfaced in the middle of my daisey chain. I�ll take heavier gear to that run next time if anyone can offer a tip or two on just where one grabs a 30 lb irrate rodent with big teeth and a flexible back.

I�ll be heading out for a repeat run with the wife this coming Saturday, and hopefully doing another run in early October. Take care,
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 09/08/10.

1Minute