So there I was in sight on the spot where Scott and I pinched the bear last week. For those that have been there, I was just barely upstream of the main highway bridge over the Buskin. I had just landed a silver and intended to reduce it to fillets when I looked downstream and saw the same sow headed up the river toward me.

I decided to kill the silver and hold it under water so as not to show it to the bear. If she came too close I would drop it and pick it up later. It was not "soupy" enough for her tastes, pesky sealice and all, you know.

As she approached the bridge she started acting timid and I thought there was probably someone right above on the bridge her making her uneasy.

I am not sure whether the huge splash came next or whether the sow tucked her nub of a tail and absolutely sprinted down the river, away, practically throwing a rooster tail in the ankle deep water... But run she did and "SPLASH" something right behind me did.

Looking over my shoulder I saw a truly large boar, perhaps 20 yards away in the pool. This is a bear that has made me leave a number of times over the past five or six years. He is big, certainly nine feet plus (far rarer than internet ten-footers) and used to having his way.

While trying to decide between challenging him to an arm wrestling match or a hundred yard dash he dove into the pool and completely disappeared. Disappearing suddenly seemed like a much better idea, so I started easing backward down the river toward the bridge.

Those low-water rocks are slicker than snot right now and I almost gave a show for several gawkers on the bridge, but kept both feet under me until I reached shore. I debated leaving the salmon for later pick-up but the boar suddenly popped out of the water about 30 yards away trying to hold one slithery humpie in both paws while he slurped it down. I was close enough to see the bear "smiling" and it reminded me of the college buddy that insisted on dating the ugliest girls he could find... They REALLY appreciated him and it cut down on the competition.

I kept the silver and made very good time getting back to the van and dropping him on ice.

This bear has been around for quite some time, but has been going much more nocturnal over the years. Tonight is a full moon and the big boar was getting an early start on a late evening. He is one of the bears I will not tempt, but tonight he acted like a regular youngster. I suspect the lack of heavy rain has kept the rotting fish in the river rather than sending them to sea and the bears have been doing well on that which they like best...

So twice in a week I have had a little dose of humility from those furry bastids...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.