Having owned the same 88 since 64,I can say that the Weaver V-7 was a popular scope back then. There was a special run that was a cheaper verison with plastic turret knob covers vs the better one with steel covers.I have one of each There was also a Redfield tip off mount called a "Quick Switch", however, the base itself was too thick to effectively see the irons ,so I machined a groove in them to facilitate seeing them.These were a two piece mount.The ring base and mount were integral. The gun came back to zero very well after flipping the scope off to the side and flipping back. ( I still have those mounts.)

At the time, Bushnell offered a 3x9 " Banner " scope for $19 that had no self centering reticle and one had to at least shim it to get the reticle sort of aligned height wise. Mine always in the upper right quadrant.I had one on the 88 prior to the V-7. Leupolds were not very common then and were usually seen more on high end guns as were Bheulers.

At the time, the gun cost $136 and the Weaver scope was $46

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/03/10.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles