Originally Posted by Polska
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by Polska
you need to grow up bro

Me? grow up?

Go back through the posts and see who shows immaturity.

Maybe I just need to learn to suffer fools better.

all i wanted to do was take 200-250 grain bullet and push it to 2500-3000 fps and the uproar I got for that comment is ridiculous. all i asked was if this is possible and if someone has done it before, I didn't ask for lectures and naysayers and general nastiness. Maybe you should look at your posts.

I disagree with the "uproar" part. You were told that it was not a good pursuit, but I don't see where anybody was out of the way with you. You responded, when the answers were not what you wanted to hear, in a very juvenile fashion. YOU were the first to throw a fit and threaten to take your toys and go home.

How do you cope in your day-to-day life if those responses were an "uproar"?

As I said earlier, there is a number of years of combined experience that gave you a very honest answer. That cartridge has been around a day or two, and has been played with by those that have answered you, and it's limits and abilities have been discovered a number of years ago. You gave a clue to your depth of knowledge by stating one possible use would be Home Defense. I'm glad I'm not a neighbor if you are going to discharge a weapon with the penetrative potential of that rifle in your home.

Just accept that what you are trying to do has been tried before, numerous times by many people (the repeatable results makes the statements here valid), and there are better tools for what you are trying to accomplish. The 45-70 is good at what it does, and it has potential as a long range hammer, but not in the fashion you seek. Accept their experience and findings.

It's just going to take a bigger case to reach the velocities you want in that caliber. I suggest the .458 Lott.

Personally, when I want to reach out to 400 yards or so, I start with a 30 caliber cartridge and go down. 6.5mm to 7mm is a real good spot to try for real efficient results.

As it is, I have found the 45-70 suitable for 200 yards using it in the fashion you want to, that is, high-speed light-for-caliber bullets and without any means of accurately determining range. This did include a sight upgrade.

It's simple physics, and you are not going to change it. You will simply discover what has been found out many times before. Hopefully before you need the cane and dog mentioned before, or an artificial limb. I really wouldn't want to see that happen, but if you insist.

Forrest Gump had a saying for that, or rather his mother did.