Originally Posted by GaryVA
Harris bipods have a decent track record when used on many standard weight sporter rifles up through tactical rifles, but I've never thought it a good idea to use one on a lightweight sporter, especially a 6-pound sporter with a lightweight synthetic stock. A harris bi-pod is not actually light, it is quite heavy for such a rifle w/ a bench swivel model running almost a pound! Sling carry of the rifle on the front swivel stud is one thing, but trying to pull a tight no-pulse USMC sling or placing such a big chunk of weight directly onto a lightweight front swivel stud during recoil is nothing but bad medicine.

Even if such a combo could be made to work afield, it completely destroys the handling of such a light rifle. And if it was being used as a temporary rig for bench work, that's a bad idea as well as it will more than likely ruin any groups from an ultra light rifle. Your mention of having trouble testing a dozen loads is confirmation. My opinion, shoot free-recoil off a sandbag w/ a small bag under the stock toe controlled by your off-hand. A bench pod will do you little good in the field as you'd have trouble elevating your muzzle above grass and underbrush. Instead, if you need a hard hold when shooting long range, learn to shoot off your pack.

Best of luck on the repair. Your lesson learned and pics will underscore my above post and will probably help steer others away from such a combination. For those who insist on such a combination, we would modify stocks to install Wichita swivels for use with tight slings, and we'd modify stocks to install a dedicated reinforced mount for bi-pods. This would hold up to hard field use, but then again, not a good idea on such a light rifle.

Best:)

The idea that we shouldn't be able to use a bipod on an $800 hunting rifle is just absurd. I can't even count the hundreds of rounds I've fired from various Remingtons - including sporters, Mtn Rifles, and an Old-Style Titanium (5lbs 3oz) with this exact same bipod and either a factory tupperware stock or a McMillan. I also expect and achieve sub-MOA performance from them while wearing the bipod and have never seen a single instance of a bipod noticeably degrading accuracy.

The only lesson to be learned from this is that the stock on the A7 is a POS. Otherwise, I like the rifle. Good trigger, love the mag retention feature, love the bolt-lock safety, love the large bolt knob, and the action is fairly smooth. The ball is in Sako's court and they will determine whether or not I keep the rifle and continue to be a Sako owner.

Excuses don't cut it.

One more thing.... You certainly don't have enough information to tell me how I need to learn to shoot.

Last edited by greentimber; 10/12/10.

RLTW