I agree with Ron that the thick consistency of Devcon steel putty has pros and cons. I'm sure it contributes to its strength and compression resistence, but you have to be careful dealing with its flow or lack thereof, if that makes sense. Viscosity is a key factor in how epoxy handles. That and open working time.

It's been a long time since I used Devcon steel, but it seemed to be just a bit stiffer than Steelbed. As I posted previously, it had a slight gritty feel.

The big difference between the two products is that Devcon is regular steel and Steelbed is stainless. This off the top of my head; I haven't researched it to confirm. Devcon may also produce a stainless steel epoxy. They have a pretty extensive product line.

When I first started messing with Devcon back in the '70s, I followed the advice of a benchrest guy named Bob Pease. He published a set of guides, in one of which he advised to always use a second coat of a thinner epoxy, such as Devcon aluminum putty followed by Devcon liquid aluminum. In those days a one pound kit cost $5. As epoxy prices have skyrocketed, that would now be an expensive proposition. I always use a two step bedding process, but for the second or paint coat I use regular Acraglas, mainly because it handles and sets up well in thin coats. Depending on the circumstances and my mood, I may add a bit of flock or aluminum powder to thicken it a tad.

Regardless of source, professional grade epoxies aren't cheap. To get a decent price you have to buy it in large quantities. That seems to be why Brownell's epoxy is so expensive. They package and sell it in smaller quantities for typical gun work. Yesterday I had to drive all over town to find some J-B Weld, and it was $6.50 for a couple of ounces at Lowe's. I usually stay away from the hardware store stuff.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.