I decided to post my question here in the hope that more folks would give input. I have decided to have a custom rifle built. This will be a general purpose rifle, for fun shooting and deer hunting. I have decided that it will be a 6.5 of some sort, but can't decide which one. My options are to rebarrel the Left-hand Browning A-Bolt in 30-06(long action), rebarrel the Left-hand Tikka 595 in 7-08(short action but will take a cartridge up to 3.00") or to buy a left-hand rifle to rebarrel. I would like to get the Tikka Left-hand in 6.5x55, but Beretta doesn't import them to the US(only to Canada). The rifle would only be used with 125 gr Nosler Partition, 129 gr Hornady, 140 gr Ballistic Tip, and maybe 140 gr Partition if I ever decided to go after something bigger than deer - not likely at age 62 and retired living in Missouri! Below are the calibers I am thinking of, with pros and cons for each, as I see them. I would really like to hear from those who have used/had built a rifle in any of these calibers.
1. 6.5x55 - A classic caliber that is never wrong. I have the dies for this one(RCBS 2-die set) but would probably get a Redding Deluxe 3-die set. Brass is readily available and not too expensive, except for the Lapua, which I would probably use in the hopes of getting the best accuracy.
2. 260 Remington - fits best on a short action, and not sure if the 140 gr bullets can be seated to the base of the neck and still maintain a 2.800 -2.900" overall length. Do not have dies for this one. Not sure about brass - have read negative posta about this brass, but can easily be made from 7-08 or even Lapua 308.
3. 6.5 Creedmore - should be fairly accurate. Need brass(expensive) and dies(expensive). Also could use reloading data.
4. 6.5x284 - Need dies and brass, also expensive. Can use a short action for the Winchester version, and need a long action for the Norma version.
5. 6.5-06 - needs a long action obviously. Brass not a problem- can be formed from 25-06, etc. Would need dies.
6. 6.5x57 - not sure if it needs a long or short action. Brass and dies a problem.

I am hoping to have a finished rifle of just under 7# without scope. Recoil is a problem for me, but I like my 257 Roberts, and the 270/30-06 is more than I want to work with. Being left-handed limits the choice of action, and it would be nice if it was weather resistant(read stainless or something like it).
OK, those are the parameters. I would like to hear from anyone who has used these cartidges, and what you think of any/all of the choices.