Just my take:

From talking reamers with gunsmiths who are fond of the 260 and cater to the tacticool crowd, throating is pretty critical if trying to run VLD's near the lands in a short action mag box. I've been told that a 2.9"+ OAL is needed even when the freebore is taken down to 0.10". If trying to use a standard 2.82" Remington mag box, you'd have to run practically zero freebore or face a decent jump to lands with that bullet. I don't know what kind of freebore most 260 factory hunting ammo is engineered around, but I bet it is nowhere near that short and I know that I don't want a "handload only" match chamber on a rifle that will be used sometimes for hunting.

Having the shorter case and maintaining a similar internal capacity, the idea behind the Creedmore makes good sense if one is concerned with long-nosed bullets, short magazine boxes, and throating harmony. If you want to do the same with the 260, you will need to pony up and go with an aftermarket mag box or DBM to allow for the longer OAL, and both options cost more money. The Creedmore lags way behind concerning brass availability and uncertain life expectancy. Pros and cons both ways I suppose, but I'd imagine a Creedmore chamber could always be re-chambered to 260AI or 6.5-284 if it did not satisfy.

Last edited by JPro; 11/03/10.

Now with even more aplomb