If given the opportunity (and I am, every fall) to use a .243 or a .30-06, it's completely a toss up in my book. The only reason that I use a .30-06 instead of a .243 is that the .243 is "Mom's gun" and I will inherit it someday, so I'm not buying a .243 of my own, I split the difference with a .260 Remington, which I used successfully on three does last weekend, one DRT (centered the spine on a running shot at 50 yds, she wasn't going another step, wish I'd been 6 inches lower...), one went 20 yds after a good running double lung shot, the other was discussed here https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...Interesting_experience_today#Post4638574 and it wasn't bullet/gun failure, it was shooter error. The .243 is PLENTY of deer for gun, I've seen some amazing DRT kills with the 100 gr. Partition out of mom's .243, both with me behind the gun and her behind the gun.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile