Originally Posted by hoover99
Hi Guy's,

I have a chance to purchase an old double barrel Cogswell and Harrison side by side shotgun. It has a serial number of 4209X and the woman that has the gun told me it was given to her Grandfather in 1916. Would any of you know if that year would correspond with the serial number? Just curious to know approx how old it is. Thanks in advance!

If the date is correct, it probably has 2 1/2" chambers. Not a problem, just an inconvenience that ads expense or labor to shooting it.

If you get to examine the gun, remove the barrels, hang them by the bottom hinge-lug over your finger or better yet, with a string. Take your finger and "flick" the barrels with your finger nail. The barrels should "ring" - if they "clank" or make a dull thud or no noise at all, pass on the gun. The weld's lost its integrity and fixing it would be more expensive than the gun could possibly be worth as it involves seperating the barrels and re-welding them and re-laying the rib = expensive process. C&H made alot of boxlocks and some nice SLE's but they're not considered "Best" guns.

edit:
I just re-read your initial post and realize that I addressed issues that you didn't ask about--sorry. blush

Last edited by gmoats; 12/10/10.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.