Unlike Hammer1, I have shot hundreds of real birds by using the left trigger to choose the tighter choke.

No doubt most folks, maybe all, here have far more experience in the field with shotguns than I do.

I have spent most of my life with rifles and handguns. While I have owned shotguns for 40+ years and shot them some over the same time period, the serious study of shotguns is relatively new to me.

From what I've read from the gun writers on this forum, most of my guns are choked tighter than y'all care for.

For example, my 32-inched barreled Winchester Model 21 is choked full and extra-full.

My L C Smith is full and extra-full.

Think my Lefever is improved-modified and full.

These are not just the markings but are from measuring the bore and the choke constriction and shooting on patterning boards.

Think the only open chokes I have on side-by-sides are on modern models with screw-in chokes like the Beretta 471 Silverhawk. But I still carry tight chokes in both barrels in it since I am used to tight chokes.

I grew up in country that would lend itself to cylinder and improved-cylinder chokes.

Where I live now the pheasants typically fly a long distance in the open before heading into cover so tighter chokes seem appropriate.

My relative inexperience with shotguns is why I ask so many questions on the topic. I continue to read as much as I can about shotguns and shotgun ballistics in books, magazines, and other sources. Also I shoot shotguns every day that I can. My wife wishes I would go back to the rifled barrel as they are much cheaper than the smooth bore.

Someone has hinted that every member of my family is giving me a different book on shotguns and shotgunning for Christmas so I will not be a pest for a few days.