Originally Posted by Polska
This may seem crazy... i know it's a sniper round..but i was browsing through my midway catalog last night and saw some of the number for the .338 lapua...i knew it was a souped up version of the .338 win mag and .338 RUM, but i didn't think it was this impressive... some of the numbers I found:

300 grain bullet @ 2,900fps!!!

I forgot who made the ammo.. but i'm not lying I think it was federal or norma or one of those other non big name brands.

This is INSANE... thats more than a .375 H&H and a smaller bullet, this thing must penetrate like heck..

Think it could suffice for the big 5... i'm not talking about what the laws are... the law says you must use a .375 diameter bullet, but laws aside... I think it would even be better then the bigger rounds, except maybe for stopping

Weatherby 338/378 will go 2850fps- no problem with the 300 SMK. The 338Lapua IM will go over 3000fps. same bullet. My 378 spits out 300 grain bullets at over 3000 fps-what's the big deal. The best deal though is not in the speed it's what you do with the brass after, the 338 lapua IM can be simply renecked and shot over and over up to 10-15 times before full lenght resize which is what you have to do right away with all the other rounds that every one speaks of. This is why my Lapua will outshoot the bees and rums.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.