Originally Posted by Okanagan
I favor straight beeswax way over any other boot waterproofing, but I have a problem: how do you renew beeswax treatment on long trips in the field? Art, do you have any suggestions?

My leather boots needed a fresh dose of beeswax part way through a 10 day moose hunt, in brush with lots of rain. Without stove or electricity, I didn't have a good way to apply beeswax again. It can be done over a campfire or small stove but is a pain in the neck. I usually use a hair dryer to apply beeswax, and prefer to do it on sun warmed boots.

I fess up that I used Nikwax liquid on my boots in the field. That milky liquid applies easily, works well and lasts longer than I would have expected.

Field application of beeswax?

I would bet the boots had been treated with something else previously... Beeswax on new leather is far better than on any treated by another method. The solvents mess with the wax, I believe.

I have had trips far longer than 10 days with continuous rain and stepping into water to get out of the boat, etc. and I have not had issues with treated boots losing it in just 10 days... Or far longer. When long trips are planned I work some wax into the boots before going.

I do not have a good suggestion for field application...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.