Originally Posted by humdinger
I found a couple magazine articles and the Catt 225Q was an army knife first. I always heard it was issued to navy though so I must have bad intel.

Lots of different claims/theories floating around about that, as well as other aspects of the 225Q. Bernard Levine, at BladeForums, had this to say:

"As a Q.D. tool it did not have to be either accounted for, or turned back in, the way Ordnance Dept weapons (such as the M3) had to be. They were purchased in vast quantities, dispensed as needed, carried or used or discarded or traded freely. They were expendable. The original 'sharp prybar' (not called that at the time; sharp prybar is more recent term, c1970s).

The "commando knife" line was originally from Cattaraugus magazine ads for these knives, just hype. Kind of like Case "green bone," which is not green, no matter what anybody claims by way of rationalization.

Anyone could and did use these knives. I have seen no evidence of any unit "issuing" them, but there was not rule against that, so it coulda happened -- but history is not made up of coulda shoulda woulda oughta or mighta. Only what actually did happen. Some folks, possibly a majority, simply cannot grasp this distinction.

The story about two knives with each pallet of C rations came through me, from two different veterans, and did not include anything about wire. Is there another source for that, N2S -- or is the wire business just a 'barnacle' the story picked up in its travels?

The marks on the handles most likely came from the fixture that secured the handle while the pommel was being staked on, in the factory. ALL 225Q knives have those marks, unless a 'restorer' has removed them.
"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.... I got my saddle soap and looked for beeswax and the craft store was out of it. At $18 a pound package, I may look at snow seal if I dodn't find a cheaper source of beeswax.

Well, Sno-Seal is less hassle, anyway smile and it works pretty well. A little heat makes for better absorption, so I would still advise the judicious use of a blow-dryer, ... when the wife ain't home, of course.