Originally Posted by Mako25
� I'll take the .300 Savage you mentioned ('cause I like 'em). The effective case capacity (full, minus displaced water) comes in at 'bout 48 grains of water. So, with that amount of volume, how do I select a powder that fills the case to 95%, and produces 35,000 PSI?
Then, how do I select a powder, to fill the case to 95%, and produce 30,000 PSI; 25,000 PSI, and so-on?

As an aside, I had a devil-of-a-time finding this thread. I thought it was in the Hunter's Campfire. �

That's what I'm going to be doing for the .375 H&H, using QuickLOAD.

I'm going to "turn in," in a few minutes, for the rest of the night. PM me which bullet to use in a simulation for the .300 Savage, and I'll run it through QuickLOAD later.

For now, I've just run a QL simulation for the .300 Savage with the 150-grain Speer seated for an over-all length of 2.60 in., fired from a 24-in. barrel. QL estimates that �
� 43.7 grains of Vihtavuori 550 would fill 96.2% of the case and generate about 2,500 ft/sec at 35,000 lb/sq in.
� 42.5 grains of Accurate 4350 would fill 100% of the case and generate about 2,350 ft/sec at 30,000 lb/sq in.
� 40.2 grains of Accurate 4350 would fill 94.8% of the case and generate about 2,200 ft/sec at 25,000 lb/sq in.

Remember, whatever QuickLOAD estimates is just that � an estimate � not a prescription! You'll have to be as careful as usual with how you begin and develop your work-up.

One good thing about all this, of course � at those moderate pressures, you're not going to get signs of excessive pressures, so you'll be interested in developing your most accurate loads.

I'd suggest using one bullet for your lighter loads and a different bullet for your heavier loads � to make it easy to tell which is which without depending on labels.

(The similarly titled thread in the "Hunter's Campfire" forum was just a link to this one.)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.