Originally Posted by CoalCracker
I will be looking to settle on factory ammo for a new-to-me .243 Win. The most likely use will be for short-range whitetail deer.

My plan is to create a preferred list of ammo and only progress down the list if the first and subsequent choice doesn't shoot well. Please critique my list, or my overall plan.

1. Barnes Vor-TX 80 gr. TTSX
2. Federal Premium 85 gr. TSX
3. Federal Premium 100 gr. Nosler Partition
4. Winchester Supreme Elite 95 gr. XP3
5. Hornady Superformance 80 gr. GMX
6. Remington Premier 80 gr. Copper Solid Tipped
7. Federal Premium 100 gr. Sierra GameKing BTSP
8. Federal Fusion 95 gr. Spitzer BT
9. Winchester Super-X 100 gr. PowerMax Bonded Protected HP
10. Remington Premier 100 gr. Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded PSP

I am sure everyone's list would vary somewhat, but if anyone has a good reason why my list should be different, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

The first part of your post is the most important. From what I've seen of 100g factory .243 loads over 30 years time, you are overthinking and overspending for short range .243 deer ammo with that list.

If you were hunting large, trophy sized deer at long range, or Elk etc, then the loads above would be needed. Given your requirements listed- not at all.

These three will do the job and are available most anywhere ammo is sold. And, they all run $15-$20 per box which is about half what most of the other loads on your list run.That leaves more $$ for buying ammo to practice with before season starts.

Federal 100g Power-shok
Remington 100g Cor-Lokt
Winchester 100g power point

I've used all of them- especally the Federals and Remingtons on lots of deer and antelope. They simply work ..

I've seen the 100g Federal loads shoot through 2 yearling antelope bucks standing side by side at 350 yards. Both stone dead with lung shots. The Remington 100g bullets are also stoutly constructed from what I have seen from 30 yard shots.

If you cannot find a load from those three that shoots well in your rifle, then get "fancy".

Otherwise-K.I.S.S.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt