One doesn't have to be crazy, but it helps. A buddy called wanting to try some John Day River, Oregon steelheading on Jan 1st. Seemed insane to me, but heck, if he wanted to drive 200 miles, I'd go for the ride.

We left Burns at -20, and passed through the Silvies Valley at -32. Made it to the river about 2000 ft lower, and it was about -5 with ice paddies floating in the current. Water temp was about 32.5 degrees F. Two of the party decided to give it a try, while I wimped out to walk the banks looking for agates, petrified wood, and gold.

Short story.... frozen guides, lines, drags, reels, and no bites. I did see one fish slowly porpoise in a near dead water pool. I found lots of agates, some petrified wood, but no gold. Couldn't break any of the agate or wood out of the frozen riverbed, however. Saw a few elk, lots of mule deer, some pronghorn, and a few golden eyes, merganzers, and buffle head. No turkeys.

Decided to spend Sunday tying up some black and white Aztec's by the wood stove. Sunday was a most pleasant day.

1Minute