Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by strosfann
I've done a lot of research ... but in my opinion Leupold is priced about 40% above value across the board so I'm hesitant to spend the $ they want. ...

I guessing you haven't done the research you think you have. Other than the Simmons 22Mag series (which don't count) who else makes a good small RF sized low-ish magnification AO scope?? Therefore, do understand how Leupold can be 40% overpriced when their the only game in town? Just outta curiosity where does the 40% figure come from?

Its not that I'm a Leupold fanatic ... I just don't understand the basis for your statements. You have a nice rifle ... don't you want nice optics???

That was what I meant - there's not much out there. My 40% comment for Leupy is stricly my opinion but it applies to everything they make as far as I'm concerned so them being the only game in town on the VXII in question doesn't really apply. My judgement may be swayed by the fact that I've been able to purchase several Conquests and Vipers in the recent past at prices that make Leupy look even more out of line.

As for the scope I'm searching for I'm beginning to realize that there will be sacrifices in some area or another. Even if I decide to go with the EFR I will be topped out at 9x when 12x or 14x reportedly makes a difference in accuracy potential. I can go with a bigger overall scope but most don't come with a fine reticle.

I'm considering putting on my 4-12x40 AO viper just to see if it looks completely out of place and throws off the handling of the gun. In the meantime I'll continue to search for a smallish AO scope with decent magnification range in case I've missed something.