Pete,

I think you'll like the camera. I got a G11 about a year ago and have been very happy with it. The image quality is excellent, rivaling that of my D2X and it's a whole lot easier to carry around in the woods and while sailing.

It has really made my life easier when it comes to images for my blog and quick shots while in the woods or on the water.

I haven't purchased a case for it because my hunting clothes have so many pockets, but I could probably use one on the boat for when I stash it in a combing box in the cockpit.

You'll be amazed by the auto fill-flash accuracy and the manual exposure controls really make sunsets and silhouettes easy.

The one thing I have not used is the video mode, though I feel pretty confident it works fine considering the quality of the still images.

Another nice thing about it is the underwater housing is only about $200, which is really inexpensive by most standards. I have not had a chance to use it underwater yet because the BP spill kept us out of the Gulf last summer. Fortunately, I've already planned a trip for the spring and will get to use it then.

It will definitely compliment your DSLR.