I have a Krieghoff Classic double rifle in 9.3x74R that I bought when stationed in Germany. I topped it with a Ziess 1.5-6x42. It has got to be one of the sweetest handling guns I own. Like a previous poster mentioned....like a nice little .410 double barrel. Recoil is not all that bad. Seems to be more of a big shove than a quick slap. I am 5'6" and a whopping 155 and I handle it without any issues. My plan was to use it for the same type of trip that you are inquiring about. Well, on my way to Zombabwe the gun was confiscated in Frankfurt (later returned) due to a dumbass at the airlines misinterpeting the rules. I ended up having to hunt with a borrowed gun and the only "Big 5" I was able to shoot was a lion.
I have since shoot a few deer with this rifle and absolutely love this little thing.
Sorry I can't help you with your question but wanted to reply to let you know that I don't think that all countries will allow the use of the 9.3x74R for the big 5. Make sure you check before going.
Good Luck,
WW