Originally Posted by Barkoff
I have a S&W model 48-2, with box and papers in my safe, I don't believe it has ever been shot, picked it up for what I believe had to be a good price, even though I don't know their worth.

That being said, what kind of shooter was S&W targeting with a .22mag with an 8" barrel, target shooters, trappers? Feels very out of balance to me with the long heavy barrel. Can't help thinking about those gator hunters on TV, this would probablly work great for their line of work, but other than that?

Anyone have an idea what the value of the revolver would be in real world, not blue book? My father bought a group of guns at $200 each, this was one of them.

Hello Barkoff

The Model 48-2 was made from 1962-1967 time span and it's dash series engineering change was the elimination of the trigger guard screw making it a Three screw variation. These started life in 1959 as a Four screw variation and I have a Four screw First year Model 48 that shipped in December 1959. As shown, mine has the 6" Barrel and Optional .22 LR cylinder with it. These Optional .22 LR cylinder's could have either been ordered with the gun from the factory Post-1961 time frame or a customer could have sent their earlier model 48 back to the factory for a sitted .22 LR cylinder as mine was. The model 48-1's had an engineering change of cylinder threads from their previous right hand threads, to the left hand threads still used today, and that change came in 1960 time span.

They Offered the Model 48 in Three barrel lengths of 4"-6" and the 8-3/8" length that you have. The Early 4" examples are scarce, The 6" examples are common and the Longer 8-3/8" barrels fall in between the two fore mentioned. These 8-3/8" barrel models were made for serious Bulls-eye work on target. The reason they are of 8-3/8" length is way back S&W used to Offer a 8-3/4" barrel length but it was Deemed not useable by the U.S.R.S.A. Ruling as a revolver barrel could not exceed a 10" sight Plane and if you Measure your 8-3/4" Barrel length gun you will see it is exactly 10" in sight plane if measured from the end of the barrel to the rear of the rear sight blade on the frame.

Later on they developed the United States Pistol shooting association which now included semi auto pistols, not just revolver's. And so it Goes your gun was made for Serious Target Bulls-eye work and this Cartridge really screams out of an 8-3/4" Barrel length...The General.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..