I put the following posting on the Big Bore site and got no responses. I guess they don't want to talk about 45-70's and seem more focused on .416's, .375's, etc. That's OK. Just want to share my 1885 high wall project and maybe you guys will better understand what it's all about.

"Since Louisiana opened their primative weapons season to include certain centerfire rifles, I've been pursuing the ideal set up. On the allowed list is the John Moses Browning designed 1885 single shot rifle. I found a good used Browning BPCR w/o the vernier BP sights and adapted it to modern 45-70 loads. I mounted a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 with Ballistic reticle. My best load, so far, is 250 gr. Barnes TSX FN bullets over 53 gr. Vv 120. This load chrono's at 2,500 fps from the 30" barrel. It shoots around 1" at 100 and it just so happens that the reticle marks correspond perfectly to 150, 200 and 250 yds, and with the pointed top of the post, dead on at 300 yds. So, by sighting on the top of the duplex part of the vertical wire, I can put three rounds on a pie plate (approx 5" group) at 300 yds. Thus, this 12+ pound 1885 single shot BPCR is a bonafied 300 yd. 45-70 "primative weapon" per Louisiana regulations. Really, not that primative and deadly to anything in the path of that gaping, hollow point Barnes bullet".

Dirtfarmer