Hmmm? There is no such thing as 100 grains by volume? Ok, so I research, I dig, and I investigate and this is what I found out.

In the Tables Of US Units Of Measurement, grains refers to mass (weight). Units of Volume are based on cubic inches, cubic feet, cubic yards, OR pints, quarts, pecks, bushels etc. I looked up The National Institute of Standards and Technology. I call two Universities (outside Arizona in case there was laughter I could always say I was a dumb local).

From one source I found out two things. First, "100 grains by volume" came from the manufactures of BP and BPS. They made it up. Second, way back in the days, Black Powder was sold by the pound (mass, weight) not by volume.

From The Complete Blackpowder Handbook: The Latest Guns and Gear
By Sam Fadala pg 51

"The smith who made the rifle supplied the charger. It was his job to determine how much powder the rifle or pistol required for good shooting, and to then make a tool that held that much fuel by volume."

So purchased by the pound; measured by volume using a tool called a charger. No references made to grains by volume.

I'm going to have a hard time transitioning over to "filling my volumetric measure to the 100 line"

Is there any way we (since it is the US Units of Measure) as Americans can create a new unit of volume as it pertains to the 1 line in a volumetric measure?

For example; "I loaded 80 HaYans of Black Powder behind a 54 caliber lead ball to take my last Elk."

Come on.

If we all rally behind the idea, we can make history.
cool

What do you say? Vote for Da HaYen ... unit of measure.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can