Shortmagfan,

I've read this entire thread and can understand why many here have the opinions they have.

I too used to think 180grs or larger on elk.

Monometal bullets(Barnes) and bonded core bullets have changed the game a bit as has been expressed here as well.

Flinch, Dober and some others who have lots of experience with Barnes bullets and killing elk have given you sound advice, IMO, regarding the bullet in question(Barnes TTSX).

In the SAUM case a 180gr bullet is going to begin to infringe upon powder capacity.

Your rifle likes the 130gr TTSX(a good thing). Barnes bullets are longer than most and will infringe on powder capacity even more if you go with 168s, 180s or larger. Plus they might not shoot being as long as they are.

If it were me, I'd go no bigger than 168 in the TTSX. In fact, I'd go with the happy medium 150gr and be done with it. A 150gr Barnes TTSX will give you all the velocity, energy and penetration you need, near and far, on just about any shot angle you're likely to encounter.

Having said that, my opinion is just that, mine.

You've picked an excellent bullet(TTSX), which is the easy part. Now practice!!!!! and use common sense on bad shot angles at long range(or, at any range for that matter). Going home empty handed but with good memories will rest easier on your conscience than the memory of a wounded and unrecovered elk due to poor shot placement....that would be a shame.

Good luck, Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 02/11/11.