Originally Posted by RogerCox
Thanks for all of the relevent information.

I am deciding whether to have a rifle built specifically for a long shot or to buy something like the HS Precision 200LA or Savage Law Enforcement in 338 Lapua. At any rate it seems that a high B.C. 338 at a muzzle speed of at least 2,900 FPS is a minimum.

I am well aware that at this range results will come from luck, but that appropriate equipment and some level of skill is needed to get you to the "luck" position. After several years of shooting on the plains East of Roundup, MT, I have come to know that wind is the big operator at distance.

And that reading it isn't easy or, in fact, very do-able. Being able to see mirage patterns is very important as is getting shots off quickly. And you must be able to spot your misses or have your misses called for you in a way that you can relate to your hold.

Thank you to all who have posted.

You will really have to lean on a 338 Lapua to get 2900 FPS with a 300 SMK, 2800, maybe 2850 is more realistic in my experience and that is with a 30" barrel
2800 FPS will get you too 2000 yards and stay super sonic at sea level and farther at higher elevation

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first