270 Winchester
Ruger M77 Mark II Walnut
Leupold 6X
Swift A-Frame 140 grain
Uncle Mike's nylon sling
Minox HG 8.5x52 binos

Dogger �

There are just so many things wrong with that combination�

1. At the end of the day the .270 Win is a pretty wimpy cartridge. You would be much better off with a .338 RUM with its much improved long range capabilities. If the recoil is a problem you will need to add a brake and some mercury recoil reducers in the butt stock. I�ve heard tell the .338 RUM can not only shoot into the next county, it can shoot into tomorrow or back into yesterday. (Actually, that�s true. As Rush says, �Don�t doubt me on this!�)

2. A Ruger MKII? Really? You would be much better off with a �Best in the WORLD� Remington M700, even an old one that fires when the safety is released (just keep it pointed in a safe direction where the bolt handle is ready to fall off and the ejector spring is broken or missing.

3. Nobody in their right mind would use a fixed 6x. What you need is skyscraper rings holding a Night Force scope with a 50mm objective and turrets. If you can�t afford good glass, just stay home.

4. Swift A-Frames are fairly low production bullets, made by relatively �inefficient� manufacturing and are rather expensive. They also have a fairly low BC when compared to other, less expensive bullets. You don�t want to be caught dead supporting �inefficient manufacturing� and no matter how well they might work and you need to shoot dozens if not hundreds of animals to prove they work any better than cup and core bullets. Trust me, you would be better off using a Ballistic Tip or VLD. If things go bad and you lose an animal because a BT or VLD failed to penetrate, at least you can take comfort in the fact that you saved a few dimes. I mean, really � where are your priorities?

5. A nylon sling? Do you want EVERYONE to know you shop Wal-Mart? What you need is a custom, hand tooled leather sling by a well-known leather worker. Should only cost a couple-three benjamins.

6. Big-ass binoculars? Do you really want to carry those around all day when hiking up and down the Rockies looking for elk? Even on the Texas flats they will just take up space you could use to haul beer. Get a pair of opera glasses and stick them in your shirt pocket. Better yet, just skip the glasses all together and use the scope for everything. Sheesh!

7. Not on your list, but you need a good laser range finder. Don�t waste your time with the cheapies. I suggest a military quality, �man portable� unit good to at least 3 miles � you never know when a really long range shot at a world record trophy might present itself!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.