Dear Sirs,

I have just discovered the treasure trove of information in this forum in the last couple days and was wondering if I could get some help ID'ing my 99.

I have a .30-30 T/D that I've been researching using the 3rd Edition of Doug Murray's book and it seems to fit under 99-F on page 3-41 but then again, not really.

The serial number (219,XXX) puts it as a 1920, it has the straight stock and forearm w/schnoble, shotgun buttplate, buttplate marking and barrel adddress fit the year/ser. range, forearm and buttplate are stamped with matching ser. numbers.

What seems off it it has a 22" barrel measured from the muzzle to the breech end of the (square)threads and the book says the 22" wasn't available in the F until 1926/27. Also there is no marking on top of the frame ring, no model marking on the front of the frame and instead of the integral front sight base with bead, it has a dovetailed front sight that looks like the "22-B Rocky Mountain" front sight shown on page 5-15. The only markings on the underside of the barrel is "OFF" in the middle of an arrow pointing in the direction you turn the barrel to remove it.

The only problems with it are that there are tool marks (not deep, but still crazy) on the barrel near where it meets the frame where at one time some diddlehead apparently didn't know you have to open the action to remove the barrel and tried to take it off with a pipewrench, and I changed out the front sight (still have the original) with a taller replacement because I couldn't get it to shoot low enough. Even with the rear sight all the way down it shot consistently 8" high at 100 yds!

I just yesterday discovered on here the name and address of Mr. Callahan so I plan to contact him eventually. Thanks for any help you'd be willing to give me, and if you need any more details I will get them. I don't have any pictures right now but if it becomes necessary I can get some on the computer.

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978