Encore Pro Hunter with 28" fluted stainless barrel w/o scope seems to handle nicely, something like a 20-gauge O/U - the 28" barrel does not make it awkward to me. I thought it could be a good platform for a .264 Winchester Magnum, which might do original factory performance from a 28" barrel. .264 is not on the Pro Hunter caliber list, although a 26" blued barrel is available in .264 - either T/C or EABCO - not sure which. Bolt action with these barrel lengths would be long enough to notice.

Web search for T/C custom barrel makers turned up Match Grad Machine at http://www.matchgrademachine.com/gunshop/Encore-Rifle-Barrels.html - the link is an order form. Now, I may have too many choices. Barrel lengths up to 31", twist rates, contours, flutes or octagon, tight neck, blue or stainless, select match blank (all blanks are Shilen), finish coatings, muzzle brakes (internal, external, adjustable), and so on. Some of these involve plus charges.

I have never owned a T/C rifle and wonder if they are typically accurate. I would consider MOA to 200 meters (longest range I can easily get to practice on) good for a magnum hunting rifle. Some of the options in the order form are accuracy oriented, so I guess T/C rifles are OK.

Would the tight neck be worth the bother of not be able to shoot factory, and the need to neck turn? Is the select match grade barrel blank +$50 a reasonable choice w/o doing the tight neck chamber?

$350 is the base charge, and a 28" round blued barrel with no extra charge options would cost that. Shilen select match grade blank would add $100. Stainless fluted barrels from T/C cost about $311.