Originally Posted by BobinNH
Well,c'mon guys someone talk about the cartridge......cause I have a 6mm 8 twist SS Bartlein here that I haven't decided what to do with...... smile

Seriously Bob, what are you wanting to know about?

This 243AI has went through a couple different stock set-ups but the barreled action is still same/same.

When I first got it back a couple years ago the first bullets I ran were the vld's. This was before R-17 and I was running R-22 at that time. I hit an accuracy node right around 3050fps(iirc). That load shot great in my rilfe and I worked up to 3150 with '22 but never could get to that next accurate node so I stuck wit the 3050 load. This is from when I tried them the first time.

[Linked Image]

Now when I originally got that rifle it showed up on the 12th of November (2008), I worked up some 100yd loads on the 13th, on the 14th SuperSeal110 and I went and shot some long range groups and on the 15th (opening day of rifle season here) I shot a buck with it.

This is the first group out of the rifle at 700.

[Linked Image]

Here's SuperSeal110 with the first 5 shots out of the rifle at 1000yds. The group was low and right but we were just working with rough drops from JBM. That's why we put them on the large target just to see how it would shoot. And that was with just a 1" Leupold 3.5-10x in Talley Light-Weights.

[Linked Image]

The buck I shot was pretty much an absolute worst case scenario for the VLD. He wasn't a big buck, just an average buck for the area we were hunting in. I was walking an old logging road in the afternoon heading back to a ridge that overlooks a good clearcut and I spotted him down in the cedars at prolly around 60-70yds. He was quartering toward me and getting closer. I usually carry a rifle with rounds in the mag, but on an empty chamber. I just chambered a round and shot him in the front part of the shoulder and the bullet went in about 3" through the shoulder and then came apart in the chest cavity. It was absolutely devastating and I just knew that when I walked down to him the shoulder was going to be a mess. It wasn't. ALL the damage was inside the chest cavity. If you do some reading you'll find that just about everyone who uses the VLD says the exact same thing, "they go in a few inches before they every start to open up, and then they open up violently". Now I'm going to give them a pretty good run this year and see how I like them.

[Linked Image]

Here's the specs.

Trued Rem700 S/A that this is its 3rd barrel.
Rock Creek Fluted SS Rem Varmint Countour 1-9"twist at 24"
Throated to put 105Amaxs in the lands in a factory Rem mag-box

The way it's pictured above is how it was originally set up with a MannersT2 and HS DBM bottom metal. So I ran that T2 for quite awhile before I traded it off. Then I dropped the barreled action into an A5 and still used the HS DBM bottom metal and shot it like that up until about two months ago. Here's what it looked like in the A5. This 5-shot group was one shot with it at 1000yds. I had also swapped glass at some point around this time. I pulled the 1" leupold in favor of a Leupold Mark4 30mm 3.5-10x40 w/M1's and put on a set of Seekins' 30mm al rings and one of his 20mao rails.

[Linked Image]

About 2 months ago SuperSeal110 was selling an A5 with Rem Varmint contour inlet and ADL bottom metal that he had ordered for his 243AI build and I snatched that one up since I really wanted to switch this rig to ADL.

So this is what it looks like now in the ADL A5 and I'm still running the same 3.5-10x40 Mark4 as well.

Shot this one a couple weeks ago at 705yds.

[Linked Image]

I've just about 1000rounds through it now. I don't really know where I'll end at with barrel life but am hoping to get 2000-2500 out of it....we'll see. When this barrel is gone I'm going to re-barrel again to 243AI. It'll be another Rem Varmint contour but I'm going to skip the flutes and have it cut to 23". It should balance about the same and I'm not worried about any kind of speed difference 1" of barrel will make. Mostly the change is just because of the cost of fluting. I don't feel it's worth it to put the money for fluting in the next barrel is all.

I thought i shot all my 6mm 105VLD's up but was looking through my bullets the other day and found a few left. I loaded some up to feed from the mag and they were jumping .040". I run 44.5gr of '17 with moly'd 105Amax's and these VLD's I had previously moly'd, so i just backed off to 44 gr and shot them on paper and they went into 1/2"(ish) at 100. I'm gonna load up the last 20 or i have on hand and shoot them at distance and see how that load holds up. If it holds up then I'm done with load work up. The 44.5gr 105Amax load is chrono'd at 3250 so I'm thinking I'm at around +-3200 with the 44gr load.

POI was just a hair left of where it shoots the Amax's.

[img]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/brdeano/Shooting/IMG_20110316_172815.jpg[/img]

Last edited by BradArnett; 03/28/11.

[Linked Image]