I was watching a program the other night on the National Geographic Channel called Hunter and Hunted. It was about Kodiak Brown Bears attaching two hunters on the islands. The two guys were attached by two bears back in 1999/2000 IIRC. One was attached by a 700 plus lbs. male bear and the other was attached by a 250 to 300 lbs. female bear. The guy that was attached by the 700 lbs. male bear died a short time after the attach. The guy that was attached by the smaller female bear was hurt pretty bad but lived.

A guy with the Alaska Fish and Game (not sure what the real name is) and a bear expert from Florida State University went to the scene of the attach by the smaller female bear. The guy from the Fish and Game had a Remington 870 (it was the nickel plated or some custom finish) Shotgun. The guy from Florida State had a pump shotgun too, not sure what it was though.

Is a shotgun the best choice for protection against big Grizzle, Brown or Kodiak Bears? If so, what type of slugs would be used? I would think a 45-70 Gov. loaded with some stout loads would be a better choice. However, I have no experience of any kind with the above mentioned bears. I just didn't expect them to have shotguns for bear protection in an area where known attacks have happened in the past.

NYH1! wink

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!