Originally Posted by iambrb
I would like to know f the cartridge is proving popular or not - anyone here have expereince with it???

In regards to your original question, I don�t know how to define popular for relatively recently introduced cartridges. Obviously there are sales as a measure, but I�m not certain any cartridge brought to the market today is popular by the standard of the old stand-bys such as the 30-06 or 270win. I don�t think the 30-06 or 270win would necessarily be �popular� in terms of sales if they were brought to market right now. Tradition counts for a lot in rifle sales. Just a situation where there are multiple options to meet any hunting or shooting situation you can imagine. On the Fed�s side, is the fact that it has plenty to deal with everything from deer to hogs, black bear and elk which represents the vast majority of hunting in N.A. In terms of velocity and energy it is very close to the 30-06. There is an excellent selection of bullets from the 160 TTSX through the 225 Accubond if you�re feeling adventurous (others include: 180 BT, 180/200 Accubonds, 200 E-Tip, 200 Bal. Silvertip, 185/210 TTSX, 200 Hornady Interlock, 185 GMX, 200 SST, 200 Hot Cor, 210 Partition, 210 Scirocco II, 215 Gameking, etc, etc). Brass is a non-issue, and never will be given its 308 heritage. Federal is now producing factory brass as well. Being Federal�s first rifle cartridge I suspect getting factory ammo will never be an issue, unlike the 338-06, or potentially the 338 RCM. There is not a huge selection of factory ammo, but what is available is quite good and covers about everything with 180s through 210 Partitions. I haven�t heard any bad reports of the 200gn Fusion ammo. It�s very easy to load for, the short size is good for short action rifles and the smaller diameter allows for more in the mag than the short/fats. On the bad side; 338 bullets don�t go through the air as well as skinnier bullets; you�re limited to the powder you can squeeze into a 308 size cartridge; and it doesn�t have the tradition other than as the 338-08 wildcat. Rifle availability was quite good, but has gone down. Starting this year, Ruger builds the Hawkeyes in 338 RCM vice 338 FED and Sako isn�t importing them from what I�ve read (still make them though). Kimber is the only one chambering it in a bolt action, and available, in the US right now (I think). That's my take on it.