Leon
There are few men able to apply a consistent 25# of force through any fishing rod rig with out some kind of bracing to the boat or beach. If the line is abrasion resistent and needs little in the way of leader protecting the line, knots become the big issue.

The thin line makes it really tough on novice fishermen without level winds and even on spinning gear the super thin lines under heavy stress will burrow way down into a spool. This has cost me a bunch of money, time and extreme irratation, not to mention big fish lost.

The problems I have with the new ultra lines and such fall into several categories... The lines are hard on the wallet and the gear. The lack of stretch reduces the shock absorbing that mono does for the reel and the larger diameter does not cut the guides the way the thin stuff does.

Knots in heavy line retain more line strength. The knot strength issues with fancy lines mean I get to tie all of the gear on every time and that gets old... The wonder lines are very unforgiving.

The rods needed for the superlines need to be softer to protect the gear. Ordinary reels are not designed for the extra stresses.

A friend grabbed Tuff-line to bring a smallish halibut aboard and the 60# fish headed for bottom. He could not get his hand off the line and it cut him clean to the bone, all the way across the palm.

After giving the stuff several attempts I have decided to hate the new stuff and still love my Maxima. I use the stiff wirey stuff as you call it and simply deal with those issues. It is tough to use on a spinning reel.

I have had it come up in unbelievably shredded condition still holding the lure by a tag. I have tried several other brands of line and McCoy mono is another great line. The expensive grades of Ande were such a big disappointment I gave away bulk spools of the stuff after just a small bit of usage.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.