As stated by some before me, a good way to catch beaver would be castor mound sets. In my own opinion, it is the easiest way, though as also stated - requires carrying/transporting more gear than say, snares. The castor mounds are the beavers' territorial scent markers. For our purposes, a castor mound is a mound of mud at/near waterline where you will place some castor lure and then splash with water. Make these near the lodges but you can really make them most anywhere - not usually smack dab in a trail, but can be next to one. the idea is to bring the beaver to YOU, not for you to go to HIM, as in snare/trail sets. I like snaring them as well, but it is not as easy as castor sets. smile You can make many a beaver come to your castor mound set through their territoriality. Will work in fall and in spring. (any time there is open water) They make their own castor mounds, but creating your own to simulate an intruder will do just fine. Here is one of mine...maybe not the best example/photos, but they were the only ones I had "jing'd" and ready to post...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Making the beaver approach from the water is usually not much of a problem, as that is how they approach their own mounds most of the time, but you will want to use guide sticks:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.