I was never worried about you guys not taking care of me I said that in my first post I was just posting my disappointment. The remington hunter looked like the bottom metal was made for something "beefier" it had gaps around both action screw ears. It also sits alittle deep into the stock so the magazine went to far up into the action. the gunsmith is going to add pillars and then bed the bottom metal to fill the small void to get it at the propper depth. It's not out by much and it might just be the small differences in the action and bottom metal that happen in mass production.

The A5 with vbull I don't really know what happened and when the dust clears I might be the one thats wrong. When I put the action in it tedars on a high point. If you push the rear of the action in properly it points up and if you put the recoil lug in properly the barrel hits the stock and it wants to point down. It seems like there is a high point that needs to be taken down a bit, so it can sit flush. The bottom metal when inserted into the inletting doesn't seem to have the mag in the right place and the action screws don't fit for length. I phoned Ed at vbull and he said of the hundreds hes done he has never not been able to use the factory screws. When I put the smaller of the two screws into the stock in both locations it comes up a quarter of an inch short of even coming through the stock without the bottom metal installed. It was boxed up and mailed to Ed yesterday as it's easier to ship a rifle in Canada than to the US and that way he could deal with all the parts involved, Also he was really curious what was going on as he had never come across that problem before. I will update what the issue was when he lets me know even if it was something I was doing. If it needs to come back I will be phoning and I know you will take care of me.

thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by DickD
Jason,
It would be nice for us to know what was wrong with the inletting. The Remington Hunter for the long 700 was ordered for the H.S. Precision DBM and by our records that's what we inletted the stock for and it had our H.S. bottom metal droped in it after inletting to check for fit. These always set a little low in our stocks. The H.S.stock have a bit of a recessed area molded in them around the floorplate for this "dip" and our's are flat as per the Remington BDL floorplate.
The A5 for the Savage was ordered and fitted for the V-bull DBM bottom metal. We have one of these and again it was dropped in the stock and checked for fit when inletting. These, like all DBM's have to be set at a specific depth in relation to the action in order for the clip to lock in place and feed cartridges properly. V-Bull provides a set of pillars cut to the exact length for this to fit properly and we inlet the floorplates to those pillar lengths. They set a little high on the bottom of most stocks that have an open verticle pistol grip as the Savage stocks have a very closed lower pistol grip, but they must be set at that depth in order to work. You don't really have any options here.
Let me know what your people figure out and if you want to return them. You know for the first 30 days you can return them for any reason and we will re-imburse you for the return postage from Canada.
Dick at McMillans

Last edited by Jayph; 05/04/11.

If Iam not hunting, Iam thinking about hunting.