Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
For elk with a 308 Winchester I would go with a Swift 165gr A-Frame.

This is the only recommendation for the Swift A-frame I have found in this thread so far. Why is that? Don't many guys like them or use them? I suppose the mediocre BC might have something to do with that. I often wonder why Swift doesn't put a big hollow cavity in the front of the A-frame and fill it with a plastic tip. The tip would increase BC and the hollow cavity would tend to make it expand at lower velocity, and it seems that plastic tips help sell bullets these days.

Redhead: You would think they don't do all that well at distance because of the profile.....and for sure they are not dedicated LR bullet that some others are today.

But I have shot the 130 gr Aframe in the 270 at 3100 fps; it's trajectory to 400 yards is the same as a 130 Nosler Partition;and ditto 165's from any 30 cal cartridge.They are in fact a lot like Bitterroots, with which I've killed out to 400 yards or so on several occaissions,and shot side by side with Partitions as well.

I think you are right though....Aframes are a great bullet but guys like plastic tips.

Frankly, I see a lot of obsessing over high BC but you start a thread on here asking about shot distances,and you'll search high and low for shots on game at an honest 300 yards,and almost none will show up routinely past that distance.Out that far, there is no handicap to an Aframe.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/19/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.